UPCEA South

The annual conference for the south region of the University Professional & Continuing Education Association (UPCEA) was held in Destin, Florida October 16 – 18. The conference was held at the beautiful Sandestin resort, and the weather was amazing. I have not participated in an UPCEA conference in several years, but I was quite happy that I chose to attend this year’s event. Every session I attended I found to be highly relevant to my work in DELO and with dual credit. While no session pertained to dual credit specifically the sessions did bring new ideas to mind as well as new perspectives on my work with high schools. One new perspective that I brought back was the idea that those of us working in continuing education (or perhaps more appropriately in outreach) are social entrepreneurs, and that we should begin to see ourselves as such. This term came from Dr. Jack Azzaretto from the University of South Florida, and his presentation on our becoming, and seeing ourselves as, social entrepreneurs was encouraging and motivating to me. I work with a large number of public high schools and serve over 1,000 students. The notion that I and our program would be entrepreneurs with a social context is relevant, but new, and one I plan to work to internalize in my work with dual credit.

This entry was posted in Academic Outreach. Bookmark the permalink.